Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Weather (Science Stuff)

We are learning about weather/seasons in science. Today's topic: wind.

We did this simple experiment that I stole from another teacher, but long enough ago that I don't remember who (sometimes I wish I was the creative teacher who thinks up simple yet age-appropriate and engaging activities, but I'm not, so I just blog stalk other Preschool, Kindergarten, and First grade teachers).

Anyway, this is how it works: place the feather on the start line. Blow. Cheer. Mark how far it went. Surprisingly entertaining.
Then we made wind tassels. Here we are checking the wind outside. Not much movement, but more than when we were inside.
So we made some wind by running.
Earlier this week we were talking about rain. Sorry about the poor picture, but trust me, it was cool. We used cotton balls for clouds, soaked up some water, and then squeezed out the rain. We noticed that the clouds were heavier when they were full of water. Then we did it again. And again. And probably a few more times. Apparently it is fun to make a cloud rain. (Thanks to Mrs. Karen for the idea!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I enjoy knowing who has visited the blog.