Monday, April 4, 2011

Independence

Today I needed to do something at the beginning of the day (you can ask your child what it was or read your email - I'm not going to post it here), but the class didn't seem to mind. So with me working at the back of the room, someone grabbed a pointer and they read the morning message together, asked everyone how they were doing, figured out the letter of the week, asked children with raised hands to find the letter in the morning message, gave clues to figure out the next special helper, led devotions (singing and prayer), worked through calendar, and even taught part of a math lesson. I was SO PROUD of how they did. I only had to offer a few suggestions.

After math we went through rotating centers. I explained things once and everyone seemed to pretty much follow directions and get to work. One center included putting some cards in order and then following the directions on them to plant seeds, independent from the teacher. They did a great job of figuring it out together, and they were really quiet (which is especially good since they were outside and other classes had their doors open to let in the cool morning air). I had to run home for a few minutes (had a flood incident last week....long story), so Miss De Jong and her class came over, and the Kindergarteners finished their centers without any problems.

At lunch time I did not open any milks or other packages. Everyone is getting so much more independent. I can tell they are almost ready for First Grade! (Sniff. I will really miss this class)

1 comment:

  1. What an amazing class you have! Wish I could have since this in person. You have every reason to proud of them!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I enjoy knowing who has visited the blog.