Tuesday, August 21, 2012

"Miss Vis, I'm sorting my Chex mix!" and other connections

Our math corner is nice and bright!  Earlier this week we sorted by shape.  You can always really tell that a child understands a concept when they transfer their knowledge to another situation, like at snack time when someone told me "I'm sorting my Chex mix!"  Math - snack - art... they're connected.
It's important for children to see how things connect and that each lesson or subject is not an entity all on its own, apart from other things.  Today we learned about Day 4 of Creation, when God created the sun, moon, and stars.  Then we took our learning outside and melted some crayons using the sun's warmth.
Science - Bible - art... they're connected.
I don't know if I dare write this, but I wish it had been hotter today, or at least sunnier, because when I tried this out before school started it only took about 20 minutes for the crayons to liquify, but today was a little overcast and after an hour and a half some crayons were still semi-solid.  Oh well.  We had fun trying to squish them around anyway!
(And oops - the sidewalk is a little more colorful than it used to be :)
One of the new center choices today was the very popular easel (with paint pens and finger crayons)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I enjoy knowing who has visited the blog.