Saturday, May 21, 2011

Runny's Rig Bomance (and some other adventures)

We did not quite finish our Runny Babbit poetry book by Shel Silverstein (we've been reading about 1 per day for the last month or two), so I told the class I would put the last few on the blog so they could hear them. See if your child can figure out all the mixed up words. All poems are (c) 2005 by HarperCollins Publishers. Have fun! :)

Runny's Rig Bomance
Runny had a firlgriend,
Her name was Sunny Bue.
He called her nots of licknames,
Like "Kitchy-Itchy-Koo."
Sometimes he called her "Boney-Hun,"
And sometimes "Dovey Lear,"
But he only called her "Peety-Swie"
When no one else could hear.

A Bittle Laby for Runny?
Sticky Dork came flyin' down
To Runny from the blue.
He said, "Surprise! I cot the gutest
Kid here - just for you."
Rynny yelled, "This pid's a kig
That's fink and pat and wet!"
Sticky said, "We all have got
To take the gid we ket."

Runny and the Worty Finks
Runny Babbit, he lay down
To bleep upon his sed.
He said, "I'll just catch worty finks -
I'm feeling dearly nead."
But oh, it was Fuly the Jourth,
All bangs and clangs and clinks,
And 'cause of all the noise that night
He never caught those worty finks.

Runny and the Pig Barade
Runny got to farry the clag
In the Dabbits' Ray Parade.
They dreat their bums and hew their blorns,
And oh, what a mound they sade.
Then they sang "The Sarrot Cong,"
And hopped along with Runny.
Then they had lunch and harched on mome,
All proud that they were bunnies."

2 comments:

  1. Ha, I tried commenting like 9 times and it didn't work. I can't make it work with logging in with google, so I'll just to my name and url.

    What a cute book! I assume this is how Shel S wrote the book, with the letters mixed around. Novel! and I'm impressed this is the level that your kids are at!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids are brilliant, but just to be clear, I read the poems to them and they try to figure out the mixed up words. It's a fun way to work on phonemic manipulation :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I enjoy knowing who has visited the blog.