Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Dr. Seuss fun continues!

I found this idea somewhere online last weekend - coloring Dr. Seuss pictures overlaid on a grid, so you are supposed to color each section in an AB pattern with 2 similar colors (I tried to stress the pattern part more than the similar colors). Despite it being rather challenging, most of the students enjoyed it. They could choose 1 of the 3 pictures, but a few children colored all 3. I had a lot of fun coloring :) and now have samples for next year, which will probably help make the explanation more clear.
In another Seuss-ical news, we did our yearly drawing of the cat in the hat. We had to look at the picture and then try to draw it the same. First I asked what shape the head was.
"CIRCLE!" most of the class enthusiastically answered. Sometimes it is hard to separate what we see from what we 'know'.
"No," I answered. "Look carefully."
This time there was a mix of "CIRCLE" and "OVAL"
I pointed out the shape of the face, how it had bumps. We talked about whether or not we could see feet or a tail (no) and then they all had to try to draw it. There were actually 2 posters: the 'easy' one that is just the head/hat/bow, and the 'challenge' one which includes the hands.
Nobody drew feet or a tail this year: yay! 3 children noticed that the hat was curved. Here a few close-ups. I love the variety! This project (the product more than the process) makes me laugh.Look how many Dr. Seuss books we've read in March so far! Every time we read one as a class, we write down the title and add it to the hat. It's a little crooked so I was going to fix it, but then one of my students pointed out that the cat in the hat's hat was curved, so then everyone wanted it to stay crooked. We had a vote. I lost. Quite honestly, the crookedness bothers me, but I will survive.
P.S. Look! I had green eggs and ham for dinner at IHOP :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I enjoy knowing who has visited the blog.